It is understandable that people get annoyed with the “Facebook” thing. There are people who are ignorant and say stupid and cruel things, there are people who post way too much drivel and who get all riled up about political issues. Maybe you have seen enough cute cats and dogs to last you a lifetime or maybe you got caught in a scam and you don’t ever want to touch the app on your phone again.
All of this is legitimate reasoning for wanting to quit but I would first ask you to consider some things.
- Are there people on there who you like and care about who otherwise would not have much opportunity to be part of your life – or you of theirs? Keep them.
- Are there people you have liked just because you felt guilty about not liking them? Get rid of them..
- Are there people who post absolutely nothing that is of interest to you? Get rid of them.
- Are there news feeds that you used to like but now don’t get much out of? Get rid of them.
- When you blow off about an issue are you being fair and knowledgeable or just ranting about something you really don’t know much about? Try limiting yourself to discussions that you are knowledgeable about. Otherwise just put it in the FYI file.
- Do you really understand the media you are using? Do you understand how it works and what the privacy options are? Do you know what people see when you post something? Get some understanding on how it works and work it smart.
- Rather than just shut people down explain to them nicely why you don’t like what they are posting. Maybe they haven’t given it much thought and just post things that other post because they don’t entirely understand the media either.
- Be careful about what you post. It’s sort of like conversations in the grocery store. You don’t need to bleed on the page or tell everyone the intimate details about your life. First of all it’s probably no one’s business and secondly there is a good chance that most people don’t really care.
- Learn to scroll. You don’t need to look at everything. There are some things you know you won’t want to see but you still want those people on your list. Just ignore it.
- Ignore the things that waste time like hours of video about puppies. The algorithm will begin to recognize you don’t like them and you won’t see them any more. (Back to knowing how it works.)
- Be smart with your time and courteous with use of social media. Self discipline is a must. Set aside times of day when you look at it and ignore it the rest of the time. Don’t ignore the people you love who are sitting with you, to have a half hearted conversation with someone you barely know.
- Do you get more out of social media than you would lose by giving it up. For me that is the kicker. I love meeting with people who otherwise would not be part of my life. I’ve renewed childhood acquaintances and it’s priceless. I get to watch people who’s lives I’ve touched and who’s lives have touched mine without being intrusive. I get to send fun stuff in closed groups and share laughter and tears with people who really care. I get to ask for prayer and offer prayer to others who need it. I share in history lessons on my home town page. I usually get one good laugh a day and that makes it all worth while.