80% Wake Up!

10488339_622632861184325_4969467225920094096_nI live for the news and something I can get my teeth in.  The recent issue of Nestle believing they own the water in BC and have the right to capture it for no cost and then sell it at exorbitant rates is a good example of my soap box style life but like this cartoon captures so well there is a part of me that would just rather not know.

The ostrich people actually irritate me even though many of them are people I love dearly.  As a citizen of this supposedly democratic country and a citizen of the world I believe it is moral and civic responsibility to be an informed voter, to support the good, protest against the bad, and protect the earth and all things upon it.  There are days however when I just want to take a break.  In fact I would like nothing more than to find some little cabin on a lake in the mountains, stock up on food and stay there for a year and read fiction and philosophy.  The other option is a monastery of some sort where I don’t have to do anything but pray, meditate and show up for meals.

The onslaught of media is just too much some days.  It’s not that I don’t know how to respond to things.  I do.  In my day I have lead some good protests.  I even believe there is a possibility of making a difference with my action.  It is just frustrating and I believe I just hit on the reason.

My frustration is not so much with the things that are happening or with the selfish SOB’s who are raping the planet and abusing their power it is with people who just sit and let it happen when they actually have the power to make changes.

Am I contradicting myself.  In a way yes.  I want a break from it but I’m upset with people who have taken leave of it.  Yes I am a contradiction but I would not be if other people actually took a stand.

My days as a volunteer coordinator remind me there are only 20% of the people doing the work while the other 80% take credit and put their volunteer membership on their resume just like the 20%.  That is the way the world works.  20% of the people do the work to make things change for the better while the other 80% sit on their complacent behinds and enjoy the benefit.

Yes I think Donald Trump is an idiot, and Nestle’s needs a kick in the butt.  I believe global warming is the crisis of our time along with child abuse and the tragedy of suicide.  I work to inform people about the issues on social media.  I take a stand when it would be beneficial to do so.  I support the work of organizations which are pushing for change as much as I can but I’m tired.

Could you 80% just pay attention and do something once in a while.

-30 (End of rant)-


About Peggy Guiler

You just never know what show up on my blog. As the name implies it is about the stuff of life just like Spilt Milk. Everyday events spark thought and contemplation. Special events in the community, the country or the world may strike a cord and get me talking. Sometimes it's about people in my life or circumstances, sometimes about my garden, sometimes about a book or a political issue. Always it's about something I am passionate about. In my business, River of Hope Enterprises (www.riverofhopeenterprises.com), I work as an "Certified Coach" (International Coach Federation), a trainer, consultant and speaker. and as a spiritual director. I also drive a school bus to keep the wolf from the door while I build my business. I love the kids on the bus (most of the time). My family is grown and I have three grandkids who thrill my heart but I don't get to see any of them very often. Circumstances of life have made "family" difficult. My son died by suicide at age 16 in 2000 and the strain on our family relationships since has been huge. Mental health is a field where I worked for almost 22 years and where I still do some consulting and training. That combined with my own battle with depression and my son's death weave together to form some of my greatest soap box items: suicide intervention, suicide bereavement and peer support in mental health are right on the top of my list. Social justice is an underlying passion. Keeping the wolf from the door as a single parent was full-time work and my career path as a journalists was augmented with cleaning contracts, cooking, retail clerk, and bartending. I have known hard work and am grateful for the experience and perspective it has given me. A firmly grounded faith and a passion for learning has now taken me toward a new field as a Spiritual Director and I am soon adding to that a license to marry people. As I move toward retirement I am very aware that I have to keep working so I chose to do things which will meet my modest financial needs and also my love of supporting people in their life journey. Woven into all of this is my love of writing. Trained as a Journalist, and having worked in the field as a freelance news writer for many years, I have a great love for writing. This blog is a new beginning for me. As I hone my skills and begin to form a daily discipline of writing I hope it will lead to more writing in the future.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s